Thursday, June 27, 2013

Surviving Tsuyu - Osaka

Our destination that I mentioned about in my previous post to replace our China trip was Osaka. We were grateful that everything went smoothly except for the quite bumpy flight to Japan. Upon finalising the travelling arrangements, I was not aware that it is now Tsuyu (rainy season) in Japan. I was really really worried prior to the departure cos what i read from the internet about the rainy season was not good at all. One thing which got me confused was that Tsuyu, which lasts for 1 month starting in June coincides with the summer season which is supposed to be hot and muggy. But in fact, during my short stay of 5 days in Osaka, that was not the case at all. Well, at least in June - it was nothing that fellow Malaysians can't overcome - we've had worse :) During the past few days, clouds were hovering above the sky, making it pretty comfortable to walk outside (but bad for photos). However, i do understand that summer temp will peak in July / August, so.. Going to Japan during Tsuyu is a big gamble, really. But we were really really lucky that it only rained a little during the 3 solid days we were in Osaka which enables us to walk outdoors. It was raining quite heavily on the morning that we were to depart from Osaka. 

One thing that I've learnt was that, the weather forecasts are not reliable at all. Different sources will give you different forecasts. So don't really depend on the as u pretty much will not know what will happen. So I would say, just seize the day! armed with an umbrella, of course :) Those disposable plastic raincoat are also good to have as the wind could blow ur umbrella upwards - happened to me, hahaha.. Just one thing to caution, from what I've read, after the rainy season comes the typhoon, so just be aware of it whenever u make any travel arrangements to Japan in August or September. You might want to google for more info just to prepare urselves ahead.

To me, Osaka is an underestimated travel destination. Most ppl just regard Osaka as one of the pit stop in between Kyoto and Kobe. Of course Kyoto is much more exciting but I do think that Osaka do have a lot of things to offer. Our five days stay (with only 3 full days) to explore is too short for us to make the trip to Kyoto or Kobe. We've only managed to cover one destination out of Osaka this time - which is Nara, a 50 minutes train ride from Osaka Station. I need more time to rearrange my entries and also pics.. So till then, I'm posting some pics of our adventures in Osaka...

Kaiyukan Aquarium
Shinsaibashi Suji - Major shopping area

Dotombori River Cruise
Osaka's famous Glico Man



0 say(s) what??: